Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My father's eulogy

I came across this in my old Dake's bible. Handwritten notes from which I read one morning in August 1996:

On Sunday morning my father passed on from this place to a better place. That same morning I was singing I must tell Jesus which conveys that in our distress Jesus will kindly help us. I shared with the congregation how Christ has many times been my source of strength and comfort. Of how we must share our burdens with Him. Those words meant to comfort others would soon be a source of comfort to me. I can't help but believe that my Heavenly Father was preparing my heart for what was to come that day.

On Sunday morning my father did not wake up in a mansion. He spent the fruit of his labor storing up treasures where moth and rust do not corrupt. He supported several ministries and often would help those less fortunate that himself. Although he did not wake up in a mansion, I do believe that Jesus prepared him a place that far exceeds anything this world's treasures can buy.

My father's focus was on Heaven. Often when talking with him our conversation would drift to the condition of the heart - mainly my spiritual walk. He encouraged me to keep my focus on Christ. He longed for the day that he would enter into Heaven. He wanted others to share that hope also.

After my mother's passing he shared with me that if he ever had a similar trajedy he just wanted me to hold his hand. On Sunday morning I couldn't be there to do that but someone greater than I held his hand. Our precious Lord, the author and finisher of our faith.

I miss him!

1 comment:

  1. You are such an amazing, perceptive man. your dad would be so proud of the husband, father, and friend you have become.

    ReplyDelete