Saturday, July 12, 2008

Separated but Not Forgotten

This blog post by Seth Barnes made me think of how cool it is when friends / family reunite. It amazes me how you can have minimal contact, be separated for months or even years, yet when reunited it feels so good (okay could not resist the cheese). Enjoy but don't let the little ones see this!

In 1969, two friends, John Rendall and Ace Berg, purchased a lion. At the time, Christian the lion was a 35-pound cub. He had been born in a zoo. The friends raised Christian in their London home. All three hung out in a friend’s furniture shop on the weekends.
Within a year, Christian had grown to 185 lbs. Rendall and Berg realized they couldn’t keep him much longer. But they didn’t know what to do with him. A chance encounter changed that. Two actors from the film Born Free walked into the furniture store.

The actors recommended a conservationist, George Adamson, living in Kenya. Christian was soon in Africa. There he was rehabilitated and released into the wild.

In 1974, Rendall and Berg decided to visit Christian one last time. He was now a wild animal. Adamson told them it was doubtful that Christian could be found. No one had seen him in nine months.

The two flew to Kenya, anyway. On the day they landed, Christian appeared outside Adamson’s camp. Somehow, he knew. He waited outside the camp until Rendall and Berg arrived.

This video was taken during their reunion with Christian. What a story! What a video!


4 comments:

  1. wow steve -- that was great but I was just waiting for the lion to slash tehm or eat their heads off...i guess i am just a debbie downer...

    you postin at 2;39 am...that is what i am talking bout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I posted the same thing on Seth's blog. I just knew he was putting a funny post on and then the lion hugs them. The sceptic in me had to check it out and it is true. The lion actually was released into the wild for like 9 months and they come back and it shows up at the camp. You can't tell from the video but they were all crying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, how do you put music on your blog... I love it!!
    I added some videos to mine, check it out
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. To post music you need to just scroll down my page to the bottom and click on create your own. You can pick out a player and then search by artists. Then it will either let you copy the code or you can let it post it to your site. I chose to then move it to the bottom. Also, Dreams of a Country Girl (see my bloglist) also uses a different player but her music selection is absolutely dreadful :).

    Also, I forgot you were in San Antonio. I was TDY there the last week of June and brought my better half and Summer.

    ReplyDelete