Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Word Play


Well this is really embarrassing to admit. Not only do I butcher the English language when writing (eg. to vs. too, by vs. buy, you're vs. your, effect vs. affect). But I also mispronounce words. For instance today, I learned that cumin is a spice for Mexican dishes. I was wondering if it was really needed in chili and was advised not to exclude it. Well when my wife came home, I said I had to run to the store to buy some cumin but I was pronouncing it come-in. Well she quickly corrected me and I even looked it up to make sure she was right, and yes, I was way off. It is actually pronounced KUH-mihn. So thankfully, I knew where the spices are stocked and did not ask the grocery lady where the cumin was located. I could have been arrested!!!

I have also misused words because of my German mom. She used to always use the phrase "chew them down" when referring to the act of bargaining. Now I really hope that was the phrase she was using. Well this year at the ripe old age of 42, I learned no one says "chew them down" but instead uses the derogatory phrase "Jew them down." I was mortified. I mentioned it to my cube mate and he said he was always shocked I used the phrase since it wasn't Christianish. But I found out I am not alone. A friend from Indiana used the same phrase.

So if I have ever been offensive it's due to my German heritage.

5 comments:

  1. I love the new background! :) Without embarrasing myself too much, let's just say that my family is from Indiana, and we used the same expression.... it was not until being with Kevin in the military that i learned to no longer use it... when we don't know, we don't know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well maybe I picked it up in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog today Steve... I didn't realize you were so rude. :^)

    I like the new colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe you ratted me out...ya know my great g-pa came from germany...coincidense....i think not - bigots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No No counrygirl I said friend - I thought it was "IJ" who said it. Just kidding. You're my friend..just kidding..my nemisis..jk...the stealer of friends...just kidding...the loser of jeeter..just kidding...this comment is stupid...for real. meaning mine not yours..just kidding.

    ReplyDelete