Thursday, September 4, 2008

Scorpions @ our house

No not the band....


...this kind.


Last year, my eldest - the baby who is nearly all grown up - and I were rushing around to get out the door for a missions trip to Mexico. I hear her cry out in pain, and my wife exclaims, "There is a scorpion!" I rush in and sing "Here I am to save the day!" I see the thing and just pulverize it - it was striking the whole time. Apparently, as Hailey was putting on a shoe she disrupted the scorpions nap or her pinkie toe looked like breakfast.

Anyway she was tough and we get on a bus ride from Oklahoma City to the Texas/Mexico border. Judy calls an exterminator and we are all good. After a month of being real careful putting on shoes, the critters are forgotten.

Well Tuesday night, I come home and ask the kids where is my other shoe that I store behind the sofa. (Not sure why this upsets Judy but I was trying to move them before she came home.) Well my second shoe was used to kill a scorpion they spotted in our hallway!

So off to Lowes and I sprayed some stuff that smells great. I plan to take a black light and look for some of its friends. I guess I will break down and hire professionals to spray for them. I am learning that they like to climb trees. That's what I get for planting them around the house - so now I get to spend my weekend caulking and weatherproofing the doors (I guess that gap I have been ignoring isn't good).

3 comments:

  1. hey, if Sting shows up (not the pain kind, but the one from the Police) you better let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, we just had a 4-foot long snake (kingsnake) in our backyard today... no scorpions yet!

    ReplyDelete